The combination of sun-dried tomatoes and chickpeas in this recipe gives you a delicious Mediterranean twist that is a little tangy, and very rich in flavor.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1–2 cans, drained)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, roasted (or raw) and minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1–3 tablespoons water
- If you are using dried beans and you haven’t already cooked them: Soak 1 cup chickpeas in water for 24 hours, changing the water twice. Rinse, then place in a saucepan with just enough water to cover the beans. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, then turn off the heat. Cover and allow to sit for 20 minutes. Check to see if they are cooked all the way through, then drain.
- If you still need to roast your garlic: Drizzle a whole bulb with a bit of olive oil and wrap tightly in aluminum foil, then roast in the oven or toaster oven at 425°F for 30-45 minutes, or until soft. Open the foil package and allow to cool.
- Place chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, tahini, sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt, and 1 tablespoon water in the food processor. Puree until combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and process for 1-2 more minutes, until smooth. Gradually add additional water as necessary, until desired consistency is reached. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- If you like, garnish with more olive oil, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, and/or minced fresh herbs before serving.
Adapted from a recipe by Sarah Hagstrom.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes