These hotcakes are soft and sweet and with just a touch of rye flavor. More interesting (and less boring!) than your ordinary flapjacks, they are made with easier-to-digest einkorn as the principle flour.
- 1/2 cup organic rye flour
- 1/2 cup organic all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plain kefir
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon organic maple syrup, preferably Grade B
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
For the Pan:
- organic extra virgin coconut oil, as needed
- In a large bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, and stir them together until combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat (or use a gas or electric griddle) and add a teaspoon of coconut oil, warming until oil and pan are hot. Scoop out a tablespoon of batter onto pan and cook for a few minutes, until small bubbles form on the surface. Flip pancake and continue cooking until done.
- Place cooked flapjacks on plates and serve immediately—or, if desired, place in warm (around 200°F) oven until ready to serve.
- Category: Pancakes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: einkorn, rye, pancakes, whole grain