Besides being gluten-free and high in protein, these cookies are also super easy to make (5 minutes of prep time, no joke) and a unusual spin on the typical chocolate chip cookie.
To me, they are a little more complex, soft but not delicate, chewy on the inside but with a slightly firm outer layer. Texture-wise, they remind me of a softer breakfast cookie.
The original recipe that this is adapted from recommends keeping your chickpea flour in the freezer, as this helps the cookies set properly when they bake.
I would add, it’s a great idea to keep all your flours, or at the very least the ones you don’t use all the time, in the freezer, to prevent contamination.
I’ll spare you the details but, suffice it to say, once you’ve had a bad experience with this particular kitchen lesson, you’ll never want to again.Print
A super tasty gluten-free cookie made with garbanzo bean flour with slightly firm outer layer and chewy center. Easy to make and only takes 20-25 minutes from start to finish.
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon COLD chickpea flour (i.e., pulled out from the freezer)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or other sugar)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons pure Grade B maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water, as needed to bring dough together
- 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate (from about half a 3.5-ounce bar)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine chickpea/garbanzo bean flour, salt, baking soda and coconut sugar. Next, add the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir together until combined and then gradually add a little water until you can get the mixture to come together into a firm dough. I found using my clean hands worked well to mix things up properly.
- Add in the chopped chocolate. Divide dough into eight equal pieces, form these pieces into balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Flatten each ball slightly before placing sheet in oven.
- Bake cookies 12 to 15 minutes, until firm and lightly golden on top.
Adapted from Oatmeal with a Fork.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Desserts
Keywords: gluten-free, chickpea flour, garbanzo bean four, chocolate chip, cookies
What about you? Did you love these as much as we did? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below and please give the recipe and rating!
Do you want more gluten-free cookie recipes? Try out some of these tasty variations:
About Shanna Mallon
Shanna Mallon is a freelance writer who holds an MA in writing from DePaul University. Her work has been featured in a variety of media outlets, including The Kitchn, Better Homes & Gardens, Taste of Home, Houzz.com, Foodista, Entrepreneur, and Ragan PR. In 2014, she co-authored The Einkorn Cookbook with her husband, Tim. Today, you can find her digging into food topics and celebrating the everyday grace of eating on her blog, Go Eat Your Bread with Joy. Shanna lives in Nashville, Tennessee, with Tim and their two small kids.